Compulsory Purchase & Regeneration
The use of a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) by local authorities and government agencies has become an increasingly common means to facilitate regeneration in addition to public works such as road and rail schemes. Importantly, the acquiring authority is obliged to use the ‘Compensation Code’. The fundamental principle aim of the code is that of 'equivalence' by putting the claimant in the same financial position after the scheme as they were before.
We offer a compulsory purchase service for both private and public sector clients in several capacities within the south east of England, focusing on Greater London and extending into geographical areas far beyond our offices. We are aware of the many issues facing both property owners and occupiers, in addition to those of the acquiring authorities, which we believe make us stand out as advisors on such projects from inception to the final delivery of a scheme.
We have a particular expertise in estate regeneration, which has become a major government strategy to deliver new housing on outdated estates.
We offer a compulsory purchase service for both public and private sector clients in several capacities at CPO stage or earlier and can undertake the following:
- Valuation of existing properties and assessment of likely claim under the Compensation Code
- Valuation of the proposed development for an acquiring authority. We regularly undertake the valuation of proposed new developments and are experienced in seeing beyond the existing stock to the vision of a scheme and creation of new level of property values
- Assessments of disturbance claims including removal and relocation costs, loss of business/profits plus Basic/home loss payments
- Potential extinguishment claims where commercial businesses need to cease as a result of compulsory purchase
- Interpretation and application of compulsory purchase law and ever-changing case law
- Negotiating the settlement of claims at a CPO stage or prior at purchase by agreement
At the Master Plan stage of a scheme, or prior to making the case for CPO, we are able to assist in the assessment of the land take cost. If required we can make representations at a public inquiry prior to confirmation of a CPO.
To learn more about our service or to discuss your needs, please contact a member of our team.